Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 7, 2010

Alice gets her belly shaved

Well, I finally caught Miss Alice and got her fixed - hallelujah!

I had tried to catch her before, but she was always too wise to the traps. I knew that I'd have to find another way, and when a medium size wire cage was advertised on Craigslist for cheap, I knew I had found my means to the end of the kitten factory.

I've been feeding in the morning lately, and not in my old manner of giving everyone a plate and waiting with them. Now I just slop out the food into the dry food bowls and they have a free-for-all.

I hate feeding them this way and I know it's not a fair deal for them either. The piggy boys gorge on the lions share of the food. However, I've really been too tired at night to do it the old way.

This started when I started getting pregnant, because by the end of the day I am spent. With a shift to an earlier start time for Brian's work hours, I may start feeding them in the old way, just early in the morning. We'll see how that works out.

But I digress...

I knew I'd have to snag Alice in the morning when I was feeding them. There were no other times she would let me pet her, let alone pick her up. She couldn't have food after midnight on the night before the surgery, so getting her on that morning was also out.

With this new cage, I felt ok with keeping her confined for the entire day. She had plenty of room to sleep and eat. I put a litter box in there but she had no idea what to do with it, the poor baby.

I had also gotten the "ok" from one of the vets I use to bring her in for this surgery. They knew beforehand that she was semi-feral and would probably be a handful.

Also, this surgery, while affordable, would not be free of charge like it would be if I were able to trap her and take her to the Richmond SPCA. However, this was going to be worth every penny to me just to ensure that I would have no more batches of kittens.

We did have our last batch to deal with, though. Alice had 3 little darlings, two boys and a girl. I named them Westley, Buttercup and Inigo.

After much thought, I decided to ask a friend of mine who I had previously helped with getting her cats fixed and re-homing some kittens. They are staying there for now and will go to the vet for a second round of boosters a week from today.

Hopefully, they will all be over the 2lb mark which makes them big enough to spay/neuter. After that, it's off to the adoption events and a forever home.

Then I'll get to do it all over again with another litter that my friend's cat has. We have to get that mama fixed, too, but she isn't feral, thankfully.

2 comments:

The Extraordinary Girl said...

Oh, poor Alice! Taking a brief trip into a totally unfamiliar world just does not go over well with cats. But I'm sure she'll have a quick recovery. You take such good care of your babies.

My friend Kelly just had her 5-year-old cat neutered (yesterday!) and she's worried that it will change his personality. Then again, he's been known to bite people, so maybe it'll change his personality in a good way!

Good luck getting all those kitties taken care of and placed in homes. Thank goodness for wonderful people like you!!!

Love ya!
Julie

Melissa said...

It probably will change his personality for the better. He should be less aggressive and it also reduces the risk of testicle cancer and prostate disease.

Yay Kelly! :)